FAQs during the Coronavirus pandemic

Updated May 31, 2022

In the ever-changing and evolving times of the Coronavirus pandemic, we want to offer some answers to your frequently asked questions about our trails, Conservation Areas, closures, and modifications to our services. If you still have questions, please refer to the links on the right, or let us know by emailing us at: otonabeeca@otonabeeconservation.com

Is the Administrative Office open to the public?

Our Administrative Office at 250 Milroy Drive will open to the public on June 1, 2022. Our regular business hours are Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

If you attend the office in person, we will require passive screening before entering the building, practicing hand hygiene and physical distancing, and we are strongly recommending masking indoors, as per public health guidelines.

If you need to speak with a specific staff member, we recommend that you connect with us before attending the office, as staff may not be available in-person at the time of your arrival.

Please connect with our Contact Us page to direct your email to the staff member who can assist you with your inquiry.

When can I book a campsite for the 2022 season?

Campsite bookings for the 2022 camping season are available online. Please book ahead of your visit to ensure there is a site available for you when you arrive. The 2022 camping season is May 13th – October 10, 2022.

Are the Caves and The Caves Trail open at Warsaw Caves Conservation Area?

The Caves and The Caves Trail are open again! After being closed for two years, visitors can once again access the Caves Trail and The Caves. Sturdy footwear, a headlamp, and a sense of adventure are recommended for touring The Caves.

Physical distancing and masking are recommended while accessing the close quarters of the caves.

Which trails are open during the pandemic?

All of our trails at all of our Conservation Areas are currently available with physical distancing. Check out our Map App for locations to hike and bike throughout the watershed. Click here to connect with our Map App…

Are canoe and kayak rentals available?

Yes! Canoe and kayak rentals are once again available at Beavermead Campground and Warsaw Caves Conservation Area. Rentals include the use of paddles, personal floatation devices, and the required safety gear. Sanitation stations will be set up to disinfect equipment before and after use.

What provisions are in place to keep me safe at your Conservation Areas during the pandemic?

At Otonabee Conservation, we are taking all reasonable precautions to prevent harm to our visitors and our employees during the COVID-19 pandemic. We are working closely with Peterborough Public Health to ensure that our operations are safe for everyone.

We have developed COVID-19 procedures to reduce the risk of contracting and spreading COVID-19, and to protect everyone’s health and safety while at our Conservation Areas.

When you arrive to our Conservation Areas, please be patient and follow all signs for direction on how to proceed. Practice physical distancing and provincial guidelines in all areas. We kindly ask that you obey all signage.

In addition to COVID protocols, are there any other rules that must be followed while visiting Conservation Areas or trails?

Yes. Please refer to our Day Use Areas Terms and Conditions for a full list of permitted activities.

  • The use of wheeled motorized land vehicles (i.e. ATV) is prohibited.
  • Conservation Areas are only accessible from dawn to dusk.
  • Picnic Shelters and day use picnic tables are available but no alcohol is permitted.
  • Visitors must keep their dog leashed at all times and stoop & scoop.
  • Day use visitors must pack out their own garbage.

If you see vandals, or visitors who are not following these rules, please first call Peterborough OPP at 705-742-0401 and also notify Otonabee Conservation by calling 705-745-5791.

Is hunting allowed on Conservation Lands during the pandemic?

Yes, hunting is allowed at eight of our properties. Hunters must possess a valid Hunting Permit, issued by the Otonabee Conservation. Depending on the property, you may hunt for waterfowl, white-tailed deer, black bear, turkey, and small game.

Click here form more information about hunting on Otonabee Conservation Lands and the requirements to apply for a Hunting Permit…

I have a question about a property and want to know if it is regulated by ORCA and if it is affected by natural hazards. What do I do?

Your first step is to fill out an online Property Inquiry Form. Submitting this form will ensure your inquiry is received and responded to in a timely manner. Please note that we are experiencing a high number of inquiries. Once you have submitted your online Property Inquiry Form, you will be placed in the queue and will be contacted by one of our staff with next steps, within 5 to 7 business days. Emails to individual staff are not recommended at this time.