Skip to main content Skip to footer

Permits & Planning

Permit Inquiries

Otonabee Conservation performs important roles in development and planning as a regulator under the Conservation Authorities Act.

Do you need a permit? Do you have questions? Submit an Inquiry Form!


If you are working in and around open water, streams or rivers, wetlands or swamps, then you require a permit! Learn more about our Permit Application Process to ensure you are following the requirements of Ontario Regulation 41/24.


Otonabee Conservation plays an important role during the planning process. As a commenting agency under the Planning Act, we review all planning applications. Our main role is to guide development away from natural hazards such as floodplains. The planning process starts with your local municipality. Please contact them to begin the consultation process.

Otonabee Conservation has a unique relationship with Parks Canada, which operates the Trent-Severn Waterway. Parks Canada manages water levels along the Trent-Severn Waterway to provide the needed water depth for boating and related recreational activities and to minimize flooding. Water depths are regulated on the 14 locks and water control structures that are part of the Waterway and are within our watershed.

Contact Parks Canada for permits for activities on lands below the ‘Upper Controlled Navigation Limit’. ORCA only considers permit applications for activities above the ‘Upper Controlled Navigation Limit’.

Subscribe to our News

Stay up to date on Otonabee Conservation's activities, events, programs and operations by subscribing to our News.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.