Skip to main content Skip to footer

Apply for a Permit

What is Ontario Regulation 167/06?

ORCA's regulation under Section 28 of the Conservation Authorities Act, is Ontario Regulation 167/06. The regulation ensures public health and safety and the protection of life and property with respect to natural hazards.

To find out if you need a permit, we strongly encourage pre-consultation with our Regulations Staff. To start the process please fill out our Inquiry Form or call us at 705-745-5791, extension 230, to be directed to a Regulations Officer.

If you do need a permit, it can all be done digitally.

Step 1. Pre-consultation

We strongly recommend a pre-consultation with our staff to understand how your property may be affected by Ontario Regulation 167/06. Please contact us to discuss your proposed project.

Use our Inquiry Form to submit questions or call us at 705-745-5791, extension 230, to speak to our Administrative Assistant who will direct you to the appropriate staff member.

A permit is required if your proposal is a regulated activity in a regulated area.

Permit Application Forms can be completed and submitted online.

Permit Application Form

You will be required to attach electronic copies of drawings and documents within the online application. Have these available before continuing with the online application form. Please review how to prepare your site plan and cross section drawings.


Downloadable and printable copies of the Permit Application Form and Landowner Authorization Form are available under Downloadable Options.

We may request hard copies of large-scale drawings which you can submit in person or via mail/courier. We have a drop box outside reception at the upper rear parking lot.

Make your payment over the phone by credit card or in person (VISA, MasterCard, American Express).

Cheque payments can be received by mail or in person.

Please call 705-745-5791, ext. 230 to speak with our Administrative Assistant. Applications will be reviewed when payment is received.

Permit Fees

Otonabee Conservation will review your application to see if it is complete. Once deemed complete, you will receive an email from staff that it is in queue for processing.

If it's not complete, you will receive an email detailing what needs to be submitted. Your application will be put ‘on hold’ until we receive the missing information.

NOTE: Pre-consultation is key to understanding what is required for your complete application. Refer to the requirements below. It will help to make sure you are providing all the required information and will help speed up the review process.

Mandatory minimum requirements for all applications:

  • Completed and signed Permit Application Form
  • Completed and signed Landowner Authorization Form (if applicable)
  • 1 digital pdf copy of the site plan and construction plans/details/drawings including dimensions to be submitted with the application (Review Preparing Your Site Plan and Cross Section)
  • Full payment by credit card (can be processed over the phone), or cheque (payable to “ORCA”)           
  • Any additional documentation requested by ORCA during pre-consultation

Notice of Collection

Pursuant to the municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, the personal information contained on this form is collected under the Authority of the Conservation Authorities Act. R.S. O. 1990, Chapter C. 24, and O Regulation 167/06 ORCA Regulation of development, Interference with Wetlands, and Alteration to Shorelines and Watercourses. This information is used to access applications and, where approved, issue permits. Information on this form will be disclosed to government and municipal agencies for review and comments and may be disclosed to members of the public through the Freedom of Information process. 

Once your permit is complete, we will email you a draft copy of the permit and ask you to initial, date, and sign it and return it to ORCA. We will then add authorizing signatures and email you the final copy of the permit.

Please fill out our Inquiry Form to request a digital copy of our Watershed Planning & Regulation Policy Manual for more information about the process we use to issue permits.

Key Timelines

We process all permits in a timely fashion. In alignment with provincial guidance and to better serve you, we are committed to these timelines:

  • Complete application review – minor permit: 14 days
  • Complete application review – intermediate/major permit: 21 days
  • Permit decision – minor permit: 21 days
  • Permit decision – intermediate/major permit: 28 days (30 days for resubmissions)

Minor permits are those that do not require full technical review and conform to existing policy.

Intermediate and major permit applications are accompanied by report(s) that require technical review and/or do not conform to existing policy.

Violations and compliance with approved Permits

ORCA permits are required for all development, interference with a wetland, or alteration to watercourse activities within a regulated area.

If permits are not obtained, or if work is done that is not in keeping with the terms and/or conditions of the permit, the work is in violation of Ontario Regulation 167/06.

Violations of the Act may be subject to a fine or imprisonment.

ORCA is committed to working with landowners. Contact us using our Inquiry Form before any work is undertaken to obtain necessary approvals and adhere to any conditions identified.

What types of hazards are regulated?

Permission from ORCA is required for development in water-related hazard areas.

Specifically, regulated areas include:

  • Rivers or stream valleys
  • Wetlands (including swamps, marshes, fens, and bogs)
  • Areas of interference with a wetland
  • Floodplains
  • Erosion hazards
  • Unstable soils or bedrock
  • Rivers, creeks, streams, or watercourses

Regulated areas are mapped according to provincial guidelines. These mapped limits and written descriptions found in the Regulation itself dictate the extent of the regulated area. Please contact ORCA using our  Property Inquiry Form to determine if your property is regulated.

What are regulated activities?

Regulated activities under the Ontario Regulation 167/06 include:

  • Development
  • Interference with wetlands
  • Alterations to rivers, creeks, streams, or watercourse channels

Development is defined very broadly and includes:

  • The construction, reconstruction, erection, or placing of building of any kind
  • Any change to a structure that would alter the use or potential use of the building or structure
  • Any change to a structure that would increase its size or number of dwelling units
  • Site grading
  • The temporary or permanent placing, dumping, or removal of any material, originating on the site or elsewhere

Ponds, for the specific purpose of watering livestock, are not subject to Ontario Regulation 167/06 and do not require a permit.

Contact Us

Administrative Assistant,
Plan Review & Permitting Services,
Otonabee Conservation

250 Milroy Drive
Peterborough, ON K9H 7M9
Voice: 705-745-5791 ext. 230

Subscribe to our News

Stay up to date on Otonabee Conservation's activities, events, programs and operations by subscribing to our News.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.